Hon. Nomvuyo Memory Mhlakaza-Manamela is the elected Deputy Speaker of the Gauteng Provincial Legislature. She started her political activism and association when she was still a student and remain an activist to date, who dedicate her time and involvement in uplifting the community, working with different NGOs, Orphanages and Old Age homes.
Hon. Nomvuyo Memory Mhlakaza holds a B-Tech Degree in Human Resources Management from Tshwane University of Technology. She boasts a long successful corporate and political career in both the public and private sector organisations. Her corporate career started as an intern Human Resources Practitioner and later held the position of Education and Training Manager at the National Co-operative Association of South Africa (NCASA) in 2005. In 2006, she joined the Industrial Development Corporation in their Human Resources division and in the same year, she was appointed Human Resources Administrator at the CSS Tirisano. At the dawn of 2007, Hon. Nomvuyo Memory Mhlakaza-Manamela joined ACTOM John Thompson until her resignation in 2010 to join the National Youth Development Agency (NYDA) as a Senior Manager in the office of the Executive Chairperson till 2013. It is during 2017 to 2018, Hon. Nomvuyo Memory Mhlakaza-Manamela was the Senior Manager for Recruitment in Ekurhuleni Metropolitan Municipality till her appointment as a Deputy Speaker of the Gauteng Legislature in May 2019.
During her tenure in corporate south Africa, Hon. Nomvuyo Memory Mhlakaza-Manamela, contributed and served in numerous company’s’ Board of Directors as a Non-Executive Director and Member of Board sub-Committees. The board membership was at the State Information and Technology Agency (SITA), Tshwane University of Technology Council, Cape Peninsula University of Technology, the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC), the Road and Traffic Management Corporation (RTMC), PetroSA and the Film and Publications Board (FPB).
Hon. Nomvuyo Memory Mhlakaza-Manamela is passionate about fighting for any form on injustice on behalf of the poor and vulnerable members of the society. Her political involvement and activism afforded her to serve in the following civil and political structures, that exist to serve the people of Gauteng, thereby contributing to the upliftment of the lives of the people and the economic growth of the province.
Her political career and involvement were as follows:
- She has been a member of the Student and Youth Movement and member of the Broader Mass Democratic Movement to date;
- Branch Chairperson and a Steering Committee Member of the Gauteng Chapter of the Young Women’s Network (YWN);
- She also served as a Political Commissar and Treasurer General of the National Executive Committee of South African Students Congress (SASCO) and the Chairperson of Gauteng Province Young Communist League.
- Member of the Provincial Executive Committee of the South African Communist Party (SACP) of Gauteng;
- In the African National Congress, Hon. Nomvuyo Memory Mhlakaza Manamela served in the National Executive Committee of the Youth League and continued to serve in the ANCYL NTT;
- Hon. Mhlakaza-Manamela is currently a Provincial Executive Committee Member and a Provincial Working Committee Member of the African National Congress.