- This event has passed.
22 March @ 09:00 - 23 March @ 17:00
Oversight Committee on the Premier’s Office and Legislature (OCPOL) seminar on Public confidence in state institutions in South Africa and the changing face of social movements.
Led by Chairperson, Hon. Godfrey Tsotetsi, the Oversight Committee on the Premier’s Office and Legislature (OCPOL) will host a seminar under the theme: “Public confidence in state institutions and the changing face of social movements: are oversight institutions in South Africa failing the public?”
The seminar aims to attract participants from all legislatures across the country, state institutions and academic institutions featuring insightful presentations from key experts in the field of governance, public participation in governance, oversight and social movements.
Themes and sub-themes:
- Public confidence in state institutions
- Service delivery protests and the changing face of social movements in South Africa
- The role of media in shaping the public perception of government
- The use of the judiciary to hold the executive accountable
- Service delivery protests and the rise of social movements
- The State of Governance in South Africa/ Gauteng
- The oversight role of Parliament/ legislatures
- Institutional culture and institutional structures
- Effective/ inclusive public participation
- Transforming governance
- Alternative models of governance
- Rethinking public participation
- The role of civil society in transforming governance
The seminar aims to deepen the understanding of public institutions and their functioning, and assess public confidence in this regard. Discussions will also include the role of oversight institutions – how the public perceives oversight institutions and how these can be strengthened.