An orientation programme for Members of the 6th Provincial Legislature is currently underway in the Auditorium, running from Tuesday, 11 June until Friday, 14 June 2019.
Day 1 commenced with a session on Governance and Procedures. The session aims to equip all MPLs with necessary knowledge to execute their Constitutional mandate regarding Governance and Procedures to be followed.
The following are some of the topics to be covered:
- Practices & Procedures in the House
- Separation of powers and overview of GPL Mandates
- Overview of the Powers, Privileges & Immunities of MPL’s
- Institutional Governance Structures
- Roles and Functions of Presiding Officers / Chairpersons
- Overview of the Powers and Privileges for Members
- Freedom of speech
- Prohibited acts in respect of Legislatures and Members
- Attendance of members before court
- Disciplinary action against Members contempt
- Arrangement and application of Rules
- House Decorum
- Balancing personal, Party and Legislature duties